Sunday, June 7, 2015

Sunday Music Muse Day - Duke Ellington & John Coltrane, Classic Jazz: Jazz Legends, and The Sneider Brothers

Here's  this week's Sunday Music Muse Day post, on a much sunnier day than last week.  I made some nice music purchases at the Hi-Fi Lounge and Record Archives.  First up is the Duke Ellington & John Coltrane CD of the Impulse label LP.  It's a iconic LP featuring titans of the jazz accompanying Duke and 'Trane.  Elvin Jones, Aaron Bell, Jimmy Garrison, and Sam Woodyard, my father. That made buying this CD a no-brainer.  I would buy this for the cover alone.  But, of course the music is fantastic.



Second up, is Classic Jazz: Jazz Legends, another Time-Life collection, which a companion to the Classic Jazz: Masters CD set I brought last month. I'll have to check if more of these exist.  It comes with a nice booklet (not pictured) with good liners notes and photos. The Jazz Legends features more vocal selections, so it's still a nice way to fill out my jazz collection of tunes.  

My third buy is sort of a Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival preview, the Sneider Brothers - The Brockton Best CD, featuring guitarist Bob Snieder and John Snieder on trumpet.  Plus, drummer Mike Melito.




Bob and Mike are on the festival line up fronting their own groups.  In addition, Bob and Mike play at the nightly after hours jam session the festival present, host by Bob.  (Bob sure knows how to stay busy)  I'll definitely will be attending the jam sessions, and as many other performances as I can.  Here's the link for the festival:  http://www.rochesterjazz.com/ 
You're bound to find something worth coming out for.  Also look for the Jazz90.1 radio station tent on Gibb Street .  I'm sure on-air host Derek Lucas, and Tom Pethic will be happy to see you. See you at festival.  Come and enjoy.

No comments: