Sunday, June 17, 2012

King's Drum and Ekun and Opolo Go Looking for Wives - Filmstrips

This past week I posted videos of two children's filmstrip I illustrated back on the '70's and '80's.  Both, "The King's Drum" and "Ekun and Opolo Go Looking for Wives",were based on African folk tales.  Read the description on the video post for the story summary. Also, in both cases I lost the original soundtrack and narration, so I added sound new background music.  In the case of The King's Drum I used a track by the jazz group Weather Report titled "Jungle Book".




Below are some concept art for Ekun and Opolo, and storyboards for King's Drum.  With Ekun and Opolo I was attempting a different style.  It was more cartoony than I usually drew on other filmstrip assignments.  I think I used Higgins's or  Penguin colored inks  and added colored pencil lines on the figures to give them a graphic look.  For King's Drum I started using Dr. Martin's dyes, so the colors are more intense. 






I still have one more filmstrip I plan to upload, but I'm hoping to find the narration, first.  Until then, enjoy.

No comments: